Hand and Wrist Clasps in Ancient Writings


In the Epistle of Barnabas, the hand clasp is mentioned in connection with Christ's descent to redeem the spirit prisoners out of darkness, (citing Isaiah 2:6-7): "I, the Lord Thy God, have called Thee in righteousness, and will hold Thy hand, and will strengthen Thee; and I have given Thee for a covenant to the people, for a light to the nations, to open the eyes of the blind, & to bring forth from fetters them that are bound, and those that sit in darkness out of the prison-house." Note the words that are so often illustrated in art works, how that the Lord "will hold Thy hand."
(Isa.lxi I, 2.), The Ante-Nicene Fathers, 1: p.46, Ep. of Barnabas, chap. xiv.)

Melito, [A.D. 160-170-177], bishop of Sardis, said that Christ arose from the dead and cries to us saying, among other things: "I lead you up to the heights of heaven, I will show you the Father who is from the ages, I will raise you up by my right hand."
(Robert M. Grant in collaboration with David Noel Freedman, The Secret Sayings Of Jesus, p. 118; The Ante-Nicene Fathers, vol. 8, pp. 750, 756-8.)